Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ignorance

Something that bothers me is how people blatantly disrespect wild animals. I'm not a crazy animal advocate, but I have learned a lot about wild animals like black bears from seeing how passionate Travis is about them.

 I was frustrated the other day when I logged onto Facebook and I saw one of our "friends" bragging about hitting a bear on the way to work in his status update. He lives near the Camp Blanding area that Travis and other biologists studied the bears so this could have been one of the ones they tagged.

 Our "friend" kept replying to people's comments calling the bear "stupid" and was frustrated because the bear was in HIS way. He kept going on about how he would've shot the bear (which is illegal in Florida) if the bear put a dent in his truck.

We need to realize that these creatures were here first, long before us. This kind of ignorance frustrates me, but I can't let it get to me. That's why I hope this blog can shed light into the world of Florida animals, and hopefully help educate people.




*Side note: Travis went to the area where the bear was hit to see if it was struggling and he said it was gone. Bears are pretty tough animals so we're thinking it's ok. Travis called FWC anyway to notify them just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment