Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Life at UF's J-school

As the semester ends along with my time at the University of Florida, I have a lot to be happy about.  I'm truly blessed to be in the position I'm in.  I will graduate from UF's College of Journalism and Communications with a degree in Telecommunication-News.  I learned here how to find the lead, gather news, and inform the public - but it's much more than that.  I've gained experience.  Before I'm even out of college, I've had the chance to Anchor, Report and Produce in a real, working newsroom at WUFT-TV and WUFT-FM.

Anchoring WUFT'S First at Five 

We're so lucky to have the program we have at the University of Florida.  We have very knowledgable professors and access to unique facilities.  Some of these facilities include the Innovation News Center (INC), and the Center for Media Innovation + Research (CMIR).

(Photo courtesy of UF CJC)


The University of Florida's College of Journalism and Communications is a top J-school in the country and is a school that aims to prepare exemplary professional practitioners and scholars for journalism and communications fields and to generate and exchange new knowledge about these fields.  Not only that, but also to gain memories.  I have to say I couldn't have asked for a better college experience.  I love my school, my professors, and my classmates.  Some of the people I've met here at UF I know will be lifelong friends (trying not to sound too cliche here).  And many of the people I've met here are going to go on and make their mark and do well in the news business.  I'm so grateful for the friendships I've made here during my time in Gainesville, thanks to this college.  

Lauren and I work in the newsroom together on Thursdays now, but met back in Fall 2011.
This is one of the friendships I've made here that I know will stay with me past graduation.  

One of the most important lessons I've learned at UF is to be confident - not just when it comes to the news.  Of course it's crucial in the news world, because if you're not confident in the newscast you're anchoring or the story you're reporting, it's going to show and the viewer is going to not only lose interest but also lose their confidence - in you.  

With that being said, my confidence has been challenged at UF.  I've had stories I wanted so badly to report turned down in pitch meetings.  People thought I was crazy when I said I've never used Final Cut Pro when I first got here.  I even considered switching my major to PR the day after taking the News Test thinking I failed (I found out 2 weeks later I had passed).  

Despite losing my confidence from time to time, in the long run I know I've gained it.  Getting my final PKG grade back today and receiving a 105 grade and recommendation to air by my Investigative professor..  My feature PKG on a local competitive cheer team having over 2000 views on YouTube.. Holding down two jobs last Spring semester with a full time class load and getting all A's..  Graduating next Saturday with Honors.. So many things I know I can walk away from UF feeling totally confident about.  Confident that if I keep working hard, it will pay off.  I can thank the people I've met, and lessons I've learned in Weimer Hall for this.  

On a lighter note, a quote written above the doorway in CMIR has resonated with me today:  "Get it first, but - first get it right".  Another lesson I'll keep with me as I begin my career in the media field.  


Though the legendary Ricky Bobby would argue this.
While the equally legendary Ron Burgundy would say this:  


Thank you UF for a great time in college, and all the knowledge and wisdom I've had the opportunity to gain!  

No comments:

Post a Comment